|Glazing in progress
We lifted the sheets up using a panel lifter purchased from e-bay, we had to get the 16 foot lifter so that we could use it to reach the high ceiling in the main room, but the larger lifter proved a little awkward in the smaller rooms. We did not want large screw holes in the ceiling, that would be obvious even if covered with putty, so we put the ply sheets up with glue and brads using a fix out nailer. My research showed that for a timber to timber joint Bostick Ultraset SF, which is a flooring glue, would be suitable. We bought the glue in sausages and applied it with a sausage gun in a zig zag pattern to the the joists on the inside of the sheets. We put brads in at 150 centres around the edge of each sheet and at 300 centres across the rafters passing through the centres of the sheets. The sausage gun was a breeze to use compared to my stiff old caulking gun, but the flooring glue was not meant for ceilings and was a little runny and if put on too thickly or insufficiently pushed on to the joists it dripped off. The suggestion that I put it on with a 3mm v notch spreader was impossible on a ceiling and abandoned in favour of a simple zig zag pattern. The fix out nailer was fast and east to use and a great way to attach a ceiling. The holes it left were very small, but the brads held the ceiling while the glue went off.
|First piece of ply held up by the panel lifter
|Applying the glue with the sausage gun
|First ceiling done with express joints
|Stapling in some of the insulation
Since we had glue on the ceiling we then tried to put up the ply sheet by hand, it was heavier and harder than expected. The sloped ceilings made it very hard to push the ply up to the higher side and trying to get the 9mm gap right and hold the ply sheet at the same proved impossible. I thought we had got it in the right place and started putting the brads in only to find out it was way out on the other side where neither of us could see. With about half the brads put in we had to remove the sheet. It was hard work putting the ply sheet down, some of the brads pulled through the sheet while a few were pulled out in the sheet. Thankfully the sheet did not break and we wiped as much of the glue as possible off the back of the sheet and off the rafters, so we could try and put the sheet up again once we have a working panel lifter.
|Ceiling in the second room, up to our unexpected stop
|Broken cable on the panel lifter