|Mixing the render in a bucket
I have read elsewhere hemp lime render being described as like "tuna and mayonnaise", the fibres in the render certainly made it different to work with than I had expected. With cement render, it is usually put on and left for about two hours before it is floated again. We did this with the hemp render, but two hours was probably too long. The stiffer mix was too hard to push out anything but the smallest lumps. At Steve Allan's workshop he had suggested rubbing the hemp plaster mix back with a rubber glove, when it was partially set to bring the hemp fibres to the surface. He was using a different render mix, that had large hemp fibres and no sand. We tried this out, but using the AHMC render mix this brought out too much of the fibre and I prefer just a floated finish.
|Test patch of render
|Render rubbed more at top of the patch than bottom
Meanwhile work on the ceiling continued. We returned the broken panel lifter, the problem was very obvious and they exchanged it for a new one. The paint job on the new panel lifter is a bit patchy but the mechanics seem fine. We put ti to use finishing the second bedroom in which the last ceiling panel had to fit into a recessed section over the door that had walls on three sides. This was tricky, but after cutting a little off two of the edges it fitted acceptably well.
|Ceiling in second bedroom
|Ceiling in largest bedroom