The cavity sliding door units are made up for a standard 90mm frame sheeted with plasterboard. As my internal walls are sheeted with 8mm MgO board and finished with 10mm of render I needed the door frame sections to be 10mm wider than those supplied on the units. Like the window reveals I intend to use the door frames as render stops. Having to change the door frame timber I took the opportunity to replace with with Tassie Oak hardwood to match the window reveals. I got the timber from Ison Hardware in Bridge St Nowra where they mill the timber on site, this enables me to get the non standard size of 19 x 126mm for my door closing jambs. The measurement of 126mm is made up of 90mm for the frame 8mm each side for the MgO board and 10mm each side for render. With the help of a little planing of the top of the jamb they all fitted together.
The timbers replaced it was time to install the units. The first one was not too difficult. I did a lot of levelling, the split jambs, the top jamb and closing jamb and the back of the unit, but will only be able to tell if I have done a good enough job once the doors are hung. Since I do not have the doors yet, I will only find out after the walls have been sheeted and rendered. I backed in behind the gap at the back of the unit and attached it to the frame with the framing gun. The unit was attached with screws at the top and I used brads to attach the closing jamb and to attach the cavity unit to the frame where they came into contact, taking care not to leave anything sticking into the section where the door slides.
|First cavity sliding unit installed
|Beautiful hardwood closing jamb
|The awkward cavity slider unit installed
|Livos Ardvos Wood Oil
|Oiled window frame
|Oiled sliding door frame
|2% and 1% Yellow, 1% Sandstone, 4%, 3%, 1% and 2% Sundance oxide
|Two and one cap fulls on Yellow oxide